Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery Dr. Jeffrey Sell leads one of the most advanced surgical teams in Florida. Sarasota Memorial surgeons routinely perform some of the most complex procedures and consistently deliver results that exceed national benchmarks. The team achieves successful outcomes through a combination of exceptional surgeons and world-class facilities.
Our cardiac surgeons—who have decades of experience evaluating and treating irregular heartbeat, heart attack, heart failure, heart surgery, valve disorders and other cardiovascular and thoracic disorders—continuously strive to achieve the best possible outcome for each patient we serve.
Collaboration across clinical cardiology, interventional cardiology and cardiac surgery is a cornerstone of our cardiac program and the key to our high success and low complication rates. Through multi-disciplinary cardiac conferences, our specialists work as a team to evaluate complex cases and match a patient with the right procedure, focusing on the least invasive and best treatment options available. Highlights of our program include:
- Rapid assessment and treatment of chest pain and heart attack.
- Complete cardiac catheterization capabilities, including emergency angioplasty for heart attack patients and induced hypothermia for cardiac arrest and stroke patients.
- Interventional and neurointerventional radiologists with carotid angiography and carotid stenting for people too frail to undergo surgery.
- Electrophysiology labs with advanced mapping and ablation therapies to treat irregular heartbeats, such as atrial fibrillation, and to cure deadly arrhythmias without surgery.
- Technologically advanced, intelligent operating rooms, called “iSuites,” which include a Hybrid OR, robotic surgery suites and interventional/neurointerventional radiology suites. This ultra-precise technology results in less pain, a significantly lower risk of surgical infection and a faster recovery time, compared to traditional cardiac procedures.
- Valve Clinic and Structural Heart Program, which offers a multidisciplinary team of cardiovascular specialists to evaluate, support and manage the care of patients with complex valve disorders and structural heart disease.
- Clinical Research Center, with 30 or more different studies covering a cross-section of disciplines underway at any point in time
- A full spectrum of preventive, early detection and follow-up care, including a network of Anticoagulation Clinics, Heart Failure Treatment Center, Secondary Stroke & TIA Prevention Clinic and Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation.