Local Focus, National Acclaim
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System is a regional medical center offering Southwest Florida’s greatest breadth and depth of care. With its flagship, 819-bed, acute-care hospital, the system has been consistently recognized as one of the nation’s largest, and best, with superior patient outcomes, advanced specialties and range of preventive screening, diagnostic and post-acute services. Founded in 1925, Sarasota Memorial Hospital is the only hospital that U.S. News & World Report has repeatedly ranked in its “Best Hospitals” list as the best in the Suncoast region (Sarasota, Manatee, Venice, North Port) and among the top hospitals in Florida.
Here are some of the accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care:
- Highest 5-Star national rating for quality:
- Sarasota Memorial is proud to be among the handful of hospitals nationwide that carry the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) top rating for overall quality and safety. Only 2 percent of CMS’s evaluated hospitals earned the 5-Star rating, according to data released in October 2016, and Sarasota Memorial was the only one in Florida and its region to receive the top rating.
- “A” Grade for Patient Safety
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital received an “A” for patient safety, earning a top spot among America’s safest hospitals in a national safety study released by The Leapfrog Group in 2016.
- Ranked among the 100 Top Hospitals in the nation for overall performance and in the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals for superior heart care by Truven Health Analytics.
- Consistently rated among the Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report for overall quality, safety and patient care. Our U.S. News regional rankings in 2015-2016 include #1 in Sarasota-Venice-North Port-Bradenton and #7 in the state of Florida.
- Highest Society of Thoracic Surgeons rating in three cardiac surgery categories:
- In 2017, Sarasota Memorial Hospital earned the highest ratings from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for its patient care and clinical outcomes in aortic valve replacement (AVR), coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) and combination AVR/CABG surgery. The three-star ratings, which denote the highest category of quality, places SMH among the top hospitals for cardiothoracic surgery in the United States and Canada.
- Regularly recognized by HealthGrades for high-quality service and care, including being named Outstanding Patient Experience Award winner for 2016.
- Consistently awarded Magnet Recognition® from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.
- Dually accredited by both The Joint Commission and DNV Healthcare for top-quality, safe care.
- Recognized for having the lowest (best) readmission rates in the nation by the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Sarasota Memorial’s 30-day unplanned, hospitalwide readmission rate is in the top 4 percent of 4,772 hospitals in nation and the top four hospitals in Florida (CMS, December 2015).
- Ranked among top 10 percent of hospitals around the nation for its low rate of “Serious Complications” (CMS, Hospital Compare, 2016).
- According to FloridaHealthFinder.gov, Sarasota Memorial offers the lowest charges of all Sarasota County hospitals, and SMH’s charge profile is below Florida’s statewide average (Floridahealthfinder.gov, 2016).