Local Focus, National Acclaim
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System is a regional medical center offering Southwest Florida’s greatest breadth and depth of care. With its flagship, 829-bed, acute-care hospital, the system has been consistently recognized as one of the nation’s largest, and best, with superior patient outcomes, advanced specialties and range of preventive screening, diagnostic and post-acute services. Founded in 1925, Sarasota Memorial Hospital is the only hospital in the region that U.S. News & World Report has consistently ranked among the top hospitals in the nation.
Here are some of the accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care:
- Highest 5-Star national rating for quality
- Sarasota Memorial is proud to be among the handful of hospitals nationwide that carry the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) top rating for overall quality and safety. Only 2 percent of CMS’s evaluated hospitals earned the 5-Star rating. According to data released in 2017, Sarasota Memorial is the only one in Florida with the top rating.
- “A” Grade for Patient Safety
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital received an “A” for patient safety, earning a top spot among America’s safest hospitals in a national safety study released by The Leapfrog Group in 2017.
- Ranked as one of the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals for superior heart care by Truven Health Analytics in 2017.
- U.S. News & World Report top performer
- SMH is among just 48 hospitals nationwide to earn the top “high performing” ratings in all procedures and conditions listed U.S. News’ 2017-2018 “Best Hospitals” report.
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons highest 3-Star ratings in three cardiac surgery categories
- In 2017, Sarasota Memorial Hospital earned the highest ratings from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for aortic valve replacement (AVR), coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) and AVR combined with CABG surgery. SMH is the only hospital in Florida—and one of only 11 nationwide—to earn the top rating in those three publicly reported categories.
- Consistently awarded Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.
- Accredited by The Joint Commission for top-quality, safe care.