Local Focus, National Acclaim
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System is a regional medical center offering Southwest Florida’s greatest breadth and depth of care. With its flagship, 829-bed, acute-care hospital, the system has been consistently recognized as one of the nation’s largest, and best, with superior patient outcomes, advanced specialties and range of preventive screening, diagnostic and post-acute services. Founded in 1925, Sarasota Memorial Hospital is the only hospital in the region that U.S. News & World Report has consistently ranked among the top hospitals in the nation.
Here are some of the accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care:
- Highest 5-Star national rating for quality:
- Sarasota Memorial is proud to be among the handful of hospitals nationwide that carry the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) top rating for overall quality and safety. Only 2 percent of CMS’s evaluated hospitals earned the 5-Star rating. According to data released in 2017, Sarasota Memorial is the only one in Florida to receive the top rating.
- “A” Grade for Patient Safety
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital received an “A” for patient safety, earning a top spot among America’s safest hospitals in a national safety study released by The Leapfrog Group in 2017.
- Ranked as one of the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals for superior heart care by Truven Health Analytics.
- Consistently rated among the Best Hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for overall quality, safety and patient care. Our U.S. News regional rankings in 2016-2017 include #1 on the Suncoast (Sarasota-Venice-North Port-Bradenton) and “Best Hospital” in South Florida.
- Highest Society of Thoracic Surgeons rating in three cardiac surgery categories:
- In 2017, Sarasota Memorial Hospital earned the highest ratings from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for its patient care and clinical outcomes in aortic valve replacement (AVR), coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) and combination AVR/CABG surgery. The three-star ratings, which denote the highest category of quality, places SMH among the top hospitals for cardiothoracic surgery in the United States and Canada.
- Consistently awarded Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.
- Dually accredited by both The Joint Commission and DNV Healthcare for top-quality, safe care.
- Ranked among top 10 percent of hospitals around the nation for its low rate of “Serious Complications” (CMS, Hospital Compare, 2016).
- According to FloridaHealthFinder.gov, Sarasota Memorial offers the lowest charges of all Sarasota County hospitals, and SMH’s charge profile is below Florida’s statewide average (Floridahealthfinder.gov, 2016).