Cardiac Surgery Program
Sarasota Memorial’s nationally ranked Cardiothoracic Surgery program, led by Dr. Jeffrey Sell, features world-class facilities, one of the most advanced surgical teams in Florida and the region’s largest Robotic Surgery program. Our physician team performs more than 1,000 cardiovascular surgeries and 6,000 procedures each year. Our surgeons routinely perform some of the most complex procedures, consistently delivering results that exceed national benchmarks.
Our cardiac surgery team—with decades of experience evaluating and treating irregular heartbeat, heart attack, heart failure, heart surgery, valve disorders and other cardiovascular and thoracic disorders—continuously strives to achieve the best possible outcome for every patient.
Collaboration across clinical cardiology, interventional cardiology and cardiac surgery is the cornerstone of our heart program and the key to our high success rates. Through multidisciplinary cardiac conferences, our specialists work as a team to evaluate complex cases and match a patient with the right procedure, focusing on the least invasive and best treatment options available. Program highlights include:
- Rapid assessment and treatment of chest pain and heart attack.
- Complete cardiac catheterization capabilities, including emergency angioplasty and induced hypothermia.
- Interventional and neurointerventional radiologists with carotid angiography and carotid stenting for people too frail to undergo surgery.
- Electrophysiology labs with advanced mapping and ablation therapies to treat irregular heartbeats and cure deadly arrhythmias without surgery.
- Technologically advanced, intelligent operating rooms, called “iSuites,” that include a Hybrid OR, robotic surgery suites and interventional / neurointerventional radiology suites. Compared to traditional cardiac procedures, this ultra-precise technology results in less surgery-related pain, a significantly lower risk of surgical infection and a faster recovery time.
- A Valve Clinic and Structural Heart Program that offers a multidisciplinary team of cardiovascular specialists to evaluate, support and manage the care of patients with complex valve disorders and structural heart disease.
- A Clinical Research Center with more than 30 different, ongoing studies, covering a cross-section of disciplines.
- A full spectrum of preventive, early detection and follow-up care, including a network of Anticoagulation Clinics, a Heart Failure Treatment Center, a Secondary Stroke and TIA Prevention Clinic, and a Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation program.
Awards & Honors
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons Top Ratings — Sarasota Memorial’s cardiac program is 1 of only 3 in the US and Canada to earn the top ratings across the board in The Society of Thoracic Surgeons’ 2019 analysis for patient care and outcomes in 5 adult cardiac surgery procedures [aortic valve replacement (AVR), coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), AVR combined with CABG surgery, isolated mitral valve replacement/repair (MVRR), and MVRR combined with CABG]. The STS rating system is one of the most sophisticated and highly regarded overall measures of quality in healthcare, and its 3-star rating denotes the highest category of quality and outcomes among hospitals.
- U.S. News & World Report “Standout” — SMH earned strong ratings in U.S. News 2019-2020 “Best Hospitals” report for all evaluated procedures and conditions, including heart bypass surgery, aortic valve surgery, abdominal aortic aneurysm repair and heart failure — an achievement attained by less than 1% of evaluated hospitals. The study also named Sarasota Memorial “Best Regional Hospital” in the Sarasota-Bradenton-North Port area.
- American Heart Association-accredited Cardiovascular Center of Excellence.
World-class Cardiovascular-Thoracic Surgery at Sarasota Memorial Hospital
© 2020 Sarasota Memorial Health Care System. All rights reserved.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact First Physicians Group’s cardiovascular-thoracic surgery office by phone or in writing:
CARDIOVASCULAR-THORACIC SURGERY OFFICE:
1540 S. Tamiami Trail, Ste. 303, Sarasota, FL 34239 | 941-917-8791