Sarasota Memorial Health Care System offers Southwest Florida’s greatest breadth and depth of care. With its flagship, 839-bed, acute-care hospital, the health system has been consistently recognized as one of the nation’s largest — and best — with superior patient outcomes, advanced specialties and range of preventive screening, diagnostic and post-acute services. Sarasota Memorial aims to offer our community the highest-quality healthcare and best patient experience in the nation.
Here are some of the accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care:
- Highest 5-Star rating from Medicare for quality and safety, 2020
- Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital in Florida to have consistently earned the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid’s highest 5-star rating for overall quality and safety since the rating system launched in 2016.
- Named among 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals in US, 2021
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital is one of the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals in the US, named by IBM Watson Health in the 2021 Fortune/IBM Watson Health list. According to the Watson Health, more than 7,000 lives could be saved and more than 5,000 heart patients could be complication free, if all hospitals performed at the level of the top 50 award winners.
- Top 100 Hospitals in U.S., 2020
- Sarasota Memorial is one of the 100 Top Hospitals in the U.S., named by IBM Watson Health in 2020. Chosen from 3,134 hospitals across the country, the Top 100 Hospitals outperformed peer-group hospitals on all evaluated clinical and operational performance benchmarks.
- “A” Grade for Patient Safety, 2020
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital has received consecutive “A” grades for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group — a national organization that evaluates hospitals’ efforts to protect patients from preventable injuries and harm — since SMH began participating in Leapfrog’s survey in 2016.
- U.S. News High Performer, 2020-2021
- One of only 37 “standout” hospitals in the nation to earn top ratings in all 10 procedures and conditions evaluated in U.S. News‘ “Best Hospitals” study. Evaluated procedures and conditions included Heart Bypass Surgery; Heart Failure; Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR); Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair; and Aortic Valve Surgery.
- World’s Best Hospitals by Newsweek, 2020
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital was named one of the World’s Best Hospitals in a 2020 global ranking of hospitals compiled by Newsweek magazine, in collaboration with global market research and consumer data company Statista Inc. SMH was one of only 10 Florida hospitals to make the list.
- First in Region to be TAVR Certified
- The American College of Cardiology (ACC) has recognized Sarasota Memorial and its Structural Heart Team for expertise in transcatheter valve replacement procedures (TAVR). SMH was the first hospital in Southwest Florida to be awarded Transcatheter Valve Certification.
- Among Top 20 Programs for Treating A-Fib Using Watchman Implant
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital has earned a spot among the nation’s Top 20 Watchman programs for the treatment of atrial fibrillation (A-Fib). SMH is 1 of only 2 hospitals in the state of Florida to reach this milestone, with more than 500 procedures performed to date.
- Excellence in Nursing
- Sarasota Memorial has Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.
- Our Cardiac Acute Care Unit was awarded the Gold Beacon Award by the American Association of Critical Care nurses for demonstrating excellence in nursing care.
- U.S.’s ‘Most Wired’ hospitals, 2020
- Sarasota Memorial was named one of the CHIME’s (College of Healthcare Information Management Executives) 2020 “Most Wired” tech-savvy hospitals in the nation for pioneering IT systems that promote security and safety.
World-class Cardiovascular-Thoracic Surgery at Sarasota Memorial Hospital
© 2020 Sarasota Memorial Health Care System. All rights reserved.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact First Physicians Group’s cardiovascular-thoracic surgery office by phone or in writing:
CARDIOVASCULAR-THORACIC SURGERY OFFICE:
1540 S. Tamiami Trail, Ste. 303, Sarasota, FL 34239 | 941-917-8791